The history of CT lacrosse club dates back to as early as 2000 B.C. In the traditional native Canadian version, the game was played on a field with one hundred to one thousand men playing at one time. The field was anywhere between 500 to 3000 meters long. The games would last from sunup to sundown for two to three straight days. The games were played as a tribute to their god, or creator.
Lacrosse was first introduced to the Western world when French Jesuit missionary Jean de Brebeuf saw tribesman playing an early form of the game in 1637. Brebeuf was the first European to write about the sport; he called it la crosse, which meant “the stick” in French.
In 1856, a Canadian man named William George Beers, who was a dentist, founded the Montreal Lacrosse Club. Beers created his own rules, which called for twelve men per side, and a shortened game length. The first game was played at Upper Canada College in 1867. The sport continued to grow and by the 20th Century, saw vast growth, and universities, colleges, and high schools began playing the game. Lacrosse was conducted as a demonstration sport in the 1928 and 1932 Olympics. In each occasion, the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays represented the United States of America in the games.
In the early half of the 1900s, lacrosse was much more a regional sport than a national one in the United States, with the primary area for lacrosse being centered on the eastern half of the United States in areas such as Connecticut, Maryland, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, New Jersey, and Virginia. In the later half of the century, the sport continued to grow, and spread to areas of the country such as the midwest, in areas such as Oklahoma and Texas. It also spread west, to areas such as Arizona, Utah, California, Colorado, Oregon, and Washington. The area in the country with the largest amount of lacrosse played is the tri-state area of New York Maryland and Virginia.